Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Prelude: Personal review and opinions by Nida Sea

The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A.Salvatore.
Drow… where do I begin? A society based on chaos; chaos against other races and chaos against each other. The drow or, dark elves, are considered a cruel race to all other races in the Realms. Their cruel and almost sadistic way of life is ingeniously explained in detail by R. A. Salvatore. His ability to convey a sense of confliction and misguidance within each drow character is amazing. The description of the brutality of the dark lives of these creatures actually makes me cringe.

I thought it almost sad that a society, while imaginary, lived this way. Then, I realized some real societies possibly similar if not completely, truly exist in our world. But, when the character Drizzt Do’Urden is introduced into the story, my heart is truly stolen! While the ways of his siblings and other kin are literally beaten into the poor leading character, it was astonishing and tearful to see that he kept to his true beliefs. This is something that almost aligns many people in their way of life today. 

He mentions his fighting spirit and skill with his twin scimitar blades to be instilled by the Weapons Master, also father, Zaknafein. This review is broken into 5 parts: One of a prelude, three of each individual book of the trilogy, and then a final conclusion of my own personal accord. I find new respect for this book and author, R. A. Salvatore, whom I’ve never read work from before until now, and only wished I, had read it sooner. Thank you.

-  Nida

0 comments:

Post a Comment